You don't have to spend your winter eating canned soup and frozen dinners. There are plenty of delicious fruits and vegetables in season right now all across the northwest. February is actually the last month that you'll find some of these tasty items, so act fast if you don't want to miss them. If you don't have time to eat them right away, freeze them and enjoy them at a later date. Grab your pen and write down the best seasonal foods to grab at your grocer or farmer's market this month. Here they are:
- Carrots (February is the last month that they're in season)
- Cabbage (February is the last month that it's in season)
- Brussel Sprouts (February is the last month they're in season)
- Parsnip (February is the last month it's in season)
- Winter Squash (February is the last month it's in season)
- Hedgehog Mushrooms (February is the last month they're in season)
As you may have noticed, fruits generally aren't in season this time of year, but you can always find a good apple when the weather gets cold. If you prefer to only eat foods that are in season, experiment with recipes that involve apples and vegetables such as spinach. If you've ever had an apple spinach smoothie, you already know that it tastes pretty darn good. You can also try putting sliced apples on your spinach for a delicious winter salad. There are so many different ways to enjoy fresh seasonal northwest foods this month. Which ways do you plan on trying?